Sunday, December 10, 2006

Here we go again...

It's going to be a long time before many are willing to put spinach back into their diet... at least the fresh bagged type. I don't know what it did to the frozen spinach industry. I do know that one of my favorite foods at the Village Cafe stopped being served until just recently! I love their spinach and substitute extra instead of whatever starch is being served.

Over the past few weeks I've received four, yes four, different recalls from different cantaloupe producers. Salmonella again. Another industry hit and probably hurting very badly.

Then there is the eColi scare with Taco Bell.

Taco Bell is owned by Yum, Inc. They also own KFC, Pizza Hut, Long John Silver's and A&W All-American Food restaurants. If you'd like to know more about Yum, here's the link: http://www.yum.com/about/default.asp

The scallions that caused the problem for Taco Bell came from Boskovich Farms in California. The distributor was the Texas-based McLane Co. In the release below, I noted that Taco Bell has changed distributors. I wonder if ALL the restaurants owned by Taco Bell's parent company (more than 34,000 in 100 different countries) will switch if they are using the onion-supplier?

The producer for Taco Bell is Ready Pac Produce. I believe, but haven't confirmed, that Ready Pac was also mentioned in conjunction with the recent spinach scare? I have read a number of news reports stating that thus far Ready Pac has come up clean in the testing being done. I'll do a little checking around and let you know if I find any real connection.

If you've never ever thought about how food reaches your table, it's something worth looking into. It's amazing how our food is processed... Who owns what is also rather interesting!

Back to salmonella! If you'd like to read the four cantaloupe recalls, all four are posted here: http://www.fayetteforum.org/2006/11-17-rio-vista-cantaloupes.htm

Here's the link to the Taco Bell story: http://www.fayetteforum.org/foodweeat.htm/12-8-taco-bell.htm

No comments:

1-800-PetMeds